Audiobooks & eBooks moved to new CloudLibrary!
On March 1, 2017, the Maine InfoNet Download Library switched from using the OverDrive platform to the Cloud Library platform to deliver ebooks and audiobooks to library members.
Once the system is live on March 1st, simply download the app for your device by going to: http://yourcloudlibrary.com/index.php/en-us/how-it-works or go to http://download.maineinfonet.org and follow the links to login via your library.
With this transition to the cloudLibrary, the Download Library will continue to offer readers nearly all of the current collection of over 10,000 digital titles that are already in the Download Library plus new titles and additional copies of popular titles.
The cloudLibrary will offer patrons an App-based user experience that makes it easier to download eBooks and e-Audiobooks. The cloudLibrary App highlights the best and freshest titles in our collection, and also allows for patron customization.
Users of Kindle devices should be advised that the Kindle Fire (2nd generation or newer) works with the cloudLibrary, but e-ink Kindles do not.
Below are some important dates for you to know, a list of Questions & Answers, and other helpful information.Important Questions & Answers:
How do I use the new cloudLibrary system?
Will my current checkouts in Overdrive transfer to the new system on March 1st?
- The cloudLibrary system is best experienced through the cloudLibrary App. Simply go to http://yourcloudlibrary.com/index.php/en-us/how-it-works and follow the directions!
- You can download the app, called cloudLibrary, in the Playstore for Android devices, the App Store for Apple/ iOS devices, and the Windows Store for Windows devices. For Kindle Fire devices go to http://yourcloudlibrary.com and click on the “available on Kindle Fire” link on the right side of the page.
- You can also access the cloudLibrary system using a browser by going to http://download.maineinfonet.org and logging in by selecting your library from the list provided and logging in with your library card.
Will my holds transfer to the new system?
- Checkouts that exist in Overdrive as of February 28 will not transfer to the new system. However, on March 1st you can check out or place a hold on titles using the new cloudLibrary app.
I requested a title to be purchased in Overdrive. Will that transfer to the new system?
- Holds will not transfer to the new system. You should place a new hold in the cloudLibrary by downloading the app and logging in on March 1st.
- Patron requests to purchase a title(s) will not transfer to the new system. You may want to place your new request in cloudLibrary on March 1st.
What devices are compatible with the cloudLibrary app?TabletsLaptopsSmart PhonesNook readersKobo eReadersKindle Fire (2nd generation or newer)Desktop computersIphones, Ipads, Ipod Touch
What devices work:
What devices do not work:eInk Kindles (such as the Kindle E-reader or Paperwhite)IpodsMp3 players that do not support apps
Will I be able to use my Kindle eInk reader?
How can I get help once the cloudLibrary goes live on March 1st?Why are you making this switch?
- Unfortunately, no. Amazon does not support the ePub format used by the cloudLibrary platform.
- Maine InfoNet and the Maine InfoNet Board of Directors are continuously looking for opportunities to provide better services at a better value for Maine libraries. The existing Download Library received regular criticism that the system was too difficult to use. The cloudLibrary is app-based and has a simpler process to check out and download titles. Libraries in Maine that have offered both systems say the cloudLibrary is much easier for library patrons to use. Additionally, the cloudLibrary will allow more Maine Libraries to participate in the Maine InfoNet Download Library. Under the old platform, we were unable to add many types of libraries due to limitations imposed by Overdrive. Now, by switching to the new cloudLibrary, any library wishing to participate will be allowed to join. Allowing more libraries to join and participate in the Download Library translates directly into more people in Maine reading and more content being purchased – a great thing for all of us.
-Posted on March 15, 2017